Saturday, December 8, 2007

Not the the Start of Something Great

Hey, everyone.

After much demand, I've started a blog.

OK, I got no demand. But after reading Bart's blog, I realized it was a great way to stay abreast of friends who are far away. So I've started mine to let you know what's going on with Nicole and me, as we get started with life in Canada. And while Bart's blog is very much a voice to the world about life in New Orleans, mine is not intended to serve such a purpose. It's really just meant as a way to keep in touch with friends. So if you and I haven't had a beer together, hit the "back" button on your browser and never return.

So what's going on with us?

Well, mostly we've been pretty damn sick. I mean, really sick. For the past week, I had one of the worst colds I've ever had. Nicole has been worse off with a cold that's just as bad but twice as long as well as an eye infection. Delightful.

Otherwise, we're house-sitting for Nicole's parents, as they're in Spain for the winter. Their apartment is in downtown Oakville, so that affords us easy access to the charming, though sleepy, downtown.

When I'm not sick, I've been doing a lot of yoga, and I love doing it. I found a really good studio, Yoga Oakville, that offers a unique deal. The studio will let students do some work at the studio rather than paying for classes, which can get expensive. So that's what I'm doing, which means on Thursday nights I spend 3-4 hours cleaning up after the last class has ended. God knows I've got the time to do it, and it's kind of like I have a job. Though, since I've been sick for the past two weeks, I've only been in the studio to clean it during that period. That should change on Monday.

I've been volunteering at a local community radio station, CHRY, which is the student station of York University. (Unbeknownst to me, York is a huge university, with a student body over 45K.) My volunteering has meant helping them with their fund-raiser and getting training to do spoken-word stories. Once my training is completed, I look forward to producing occassional stories for the station. I'd always wanted to get involved in community radio, but never had the time. So I'm seizing that opportunity now.

I've also been doing some creative writing, something I feel really good about. But I won't jinx it by saying more than that.

I'm sure one comparison to be drawn between here and New Orleans is the matter of the weather. Well, guess what? It's colder here. A lot colder. We've got snow everywhere. But it's not bad, though I'm told it will get worse.OK, I hope to hear from you. If I don't, I probably won't keep posting. So get to commenting!

David

6 comments:

Tony said...

Damn good to hear from ya. We might be over 2500 miles apart but we're almost in the same latitude. Missed the good times we all shared in NoLa. I'll be going back down in a couple of weeks for the christmas break. It'll be a minor reprieve from my Northwest experience so far.

Well this will be my first of many comments I'm sure .... almost as good as using a cell phone. Both of you guys take care and hope to see you all in person in the not so distant future.

Tony

Anonymous said...

Egggscellent... Blogs are indeed a great way for friends to stay in touch. In fact I was first introduced to blogs by a circle of friends from Bloomington, Indiana, who continue to use them for that purpose. It's almost as easy as sending an e-mail and has several advantages over that medium.

If you ever find blogspot doesn't meet your needs, check out wordpress.com... You can even transfer all your post from here to there if need be.

Anonymous said...

thanks for the updates. yoga gig sounds cool. what classes are you into? we have started a yoga club at work, once a week anyone interested can join us in the large conference room as we do some hatha to one of our favorite DVDs. not as great as going to the studio but better than nothing.

Anonymous said...

It's bickram yoga, AKA hot yoga.

I like it. You hold the poses for a while, not a bunch of fast-moving poses which I've done before.

Unknown said...

You two better not come down with some incurable pneumonia or something! Me thinks a quick trip to NOLA could cure some of your ills. But I'll probably always wish for that. Very exciting to hear about your new yoga and radio adventures. Keep up the happy living! What's the missus up to these days? Or should I be on the lookout for her blog to get my answer? Miss you both lots. Take good care of each other.

Anonymous said...

Oh, how interesting! I didn't know you had gotten into yoga! I've always loved the IDEA of it, but found it awkward. Recently someone suggested I might like something called Nia which is apparently some sort of dance-martial art-meditative thing that sounds very intriguing. I'll let you know when I get around to trying it.