In case you haven't heard, Al Gore gave an inspiring speech in which he challenged the nation to eliminate its reliance on fossil fuels in ten years, laying out the environmental, economic, and security benefits of doing so. It makes a lot of sense, and you can watch it here:
The main thing that prompted my posting this speech is he asked me to. I'm not being euphomistic here. I've been one of the more active members on the We campaign, and as such, I was invited to participate in a conference call with other people involved. I didn't talk to him, but it was fun.
1 comment:
Thank you for sharing Gore's speech, David. He continues to be an inspiration to me.
You know the concept of the green triangle--the principle that when we consume fewer resources it's not only good for the Earth, but for our wallets, and for our well-being? I recently committed to a new goal of transitioning from conventional school librarianship to being an online teacher and webpreneur (read more at my new professional blog, morganmacdonald.wordpress.com). One of things I love about this goal is that it happens to be good for the environment as well because I will no longer need to commute. All of my work will be online and can be done from home or a coffee house. In fact, living in Capitol Hill in Seattle, I won't even need to own a car because everywhere I usually want to go is within walking distance or a 10-minute bus ride. For destinations that require a car, like Target, I can do a ZipCar car-share membership and for about $10 an hour, be driving a new Prius or Mini Cooper. That might sound expensive until you realize that you don't have to pay for (or spend precious time on) insurance, registration, maintenance, or even GAS. Yep, it's all included.
I'm really looking forward to it.
Post a Comment